PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Guinea-Bissau from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Guinea-Bissau with PlaneJourney. The country has a population of approximately 1.9 million people.
Major cities and airports in Guinea-Bissau
- Bissau – Osvaldo Vieira International Airport (OXB)
- Bubaque – Bubaque Airport (BQE)
- Cufar – Cufar Airport (CUF)
Time and Communication
Guinea-Bissau is located in the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) zone and does not observe Daylight Saving Time. The country has two major mobile operators: MTN Guinea-Bissau and Orange Guinea-Bissau. Call quality and cell phone coverage are generally good in urban areas, but may be limited in rural and remote regions.
Money and shopping
The local currency in Guinea-Bissau is the West African CFA franc (XOF), with an exchange rate of approximately 1 USD to 575 XOF. Guinea-Bissau generally does not accept payment in other currencies. Credit and debit card usage is not widespread, especially outside of major cities. Visa cards are more widely accepted than other card types. Currency exchange offices usually operate during regular business hours, Monday through Friday.
Common transportation options in Guinea-Bissau for travelers include buses, taxis, and private car hire. Buses are an affordable option for inter-city travel, while taxis are more convenient for shorter distances. Car rentals are available but may be more expensive than other transportation options.
- Fortaleza de São José da Amura: A historic fortress in Bissau, featuring impressive architecture and offering insights into the country’s past.
- Bijagos Archipelago: A group of islands known for their pristine beaches, diverse wildlife, and unique cultural experiences.
- Cantanhez Forest National Park: A protected area in southern Guinea-Bissau, home to diverse flora and fauna, including endangered species like the West African chimpanzee.
- Bissau Velho: The old quarter of Bissau, with colonial-era buildings and a vibrant atmosphere, perfect for exploring on foot.
- Ilha de Orango: Part of the Bijagos Archipelago, this island is home to the Orango National Park, known for its saltwater hippos and rich biodiversity.