PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Yemen from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Yemen with PlaneJourney. With a population of about 30 million, Yemen is a country rich in culture and history.
Major cities and airports in Yemen
- Sanaa – Sanaa International Airport
- Aden – Aden International Airport
- Taiz – Ta’izz International Airport
- Hodeida – Hodeida International Airport
- Mukalla – Riyan Airport
- Seiyun – Seiyun Airport
- Socotra – Socotra Airport
- Al Ghaydah – Al Ghaydah International Airport
Time and Communication
Yemen is in the Arabia Standard Time zone and does not observe daylight saving time. The main mobile network operators are MTN Yemen and Yemen Mobile. The call quality can vary, and coverage may not be comprehensive, particularly in rural areas.
Money and shopping
The local currency is the Yemeni Rial (YER), with an exchange rate of approximately 250 YER to 1 USD as of 2023. While US dollars may be accepted in some tourist areas, it is recommended to use local currency. Credit cards are not widely accepted, particularly outside of larger cities. Working hours of currency exchange offices may vary, but they typically open at around 9 am and close at around 6 pm.
Common modes of transportation in Yemen include minibuses and taxis in urban areas. In more rural regions, travel may be more challenging due to the country’s mountainous terrain. Rental cars are available, but the local driving conditions may be difficult for unfamiliar travelers.
- Old City of Sanaa: A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Old City of Sanaa is home to unique, multistory tower houses made of rammed earth.
- Socotra Island: Known as the ‘Galapagos of the Indian Ocean’, Socotra Island boasts a unique biodiversity with many endemic species.
- Shibam: Often referred to as the ‘Manhattan of the desert’, Shibam is another UNESCO World Heritage Site famous for its mudbrick-made high-rise buildings.
- Al-Saleh Mosque: Located in Sanaa, the Al-Saleh Mosque is the largest and most modern mosque in Yemen, known for its beautiful architecture.
- Wadi Dawan: A beautiful valley with a river running through it, offering a window into rural Yemeni life.