PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Vanuatu from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Vanuatu with PlaneJourney. Vanuatu has a population of approximately 300,000 people.
Major cities and airports in Vanuatu
- Port Vila – Bauerfield International Airport
- Luganville – Santo-Pekoa International Airport
- Tanna – Whitegrass Airport
Time and Communication
Vanuatu operates on Vanuatu Standard Time and it does not observe daylight saving time. The primary mobile operators in the country are Digicel and TVL, offering good coverage in urban areas and less consistent coverage in remote regions.
Money and shopping
The local currency is the Vanuatu vatu (VUV), with an exchange rate of approximately 110 VUV to 1 USD as of May 2023. While some places accept Australian dollars, it’s more common to use the local currency. Payment by bank cards is becoming more common in urban areas, with Visa and MasterCard being widely accepted. Currency exchange offices typically operate between 8:30 am and 3:30 pm.
Public transportation in Vanuatu mainly consists of buses, taxis, and ferries for inter-island travel. In addition, ‘Island Hopping’ with small local airlines is also quite popular.
- Mount Yasur: This active volcano on Tanna Island offers a unique and thrilling experience for adventurous tourists.
- Millennium Cave: Located on Santo Island, this natural wonder offers guided tours that include hiking, caving, and swimming.
- Champagne Beach: Known for its pristine white sands and clear blue waters, this beach on Santo Island is a must-visit.
- Mele Cascades: A series of stunning waterfall cascades located near Port Vila, offering beautiful nature walks and swimming spots.
- Underwater Post Office: Located in Hideaway Island marine sanctuary, visitors can actually post a waterproof postcard underwater.