PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Uganda from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Uganda with PlaneJourney. Uganda is a vibrant country in East Africa, home to over 44 million people.
Major cities and airports in Uganda
- Kampala – Entebbe International Airport
- Gulu – Gulu Airport
- Mbarara – Mbarara Airport
- Jinja – Jinja Airport
- Bwindi – Kayonza Airstrip
Time and Communication
Uganda operates on East Africa Time (EAT, GMT+3). There is no daylight saving time in Uganda. The country has several mobile operators including MTN Uganda, Airtel Uganda, and Africell Uganda, offering good coverage across most of the country.
Money and shopping
The local currency is the Ugandan Shilling (UGX), with an approximate exchange rate of 3700 UGX to 1 USD as of writing. Payment in other currencies is not typically accepted. Major credit cards are accepted at hotels and larger businesses, but cash is the preferred method of payment in many places. Currency exchange offices typically operate within normal business hours.
The most common forms of transportation in Uganda are boda-bodas (motorcycle taxis), matatus (minibus taxis), and private taxis. For longer distances, there are coach services, and in the more remote areas, bicycles are often used.
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park: Known for its mountain gorilla population, it’s one of the best places in the world to see these amazing creatures in their natural habitat.
- Murchison Falls National Park: This park is home to a stunning waterfall and a variety of wildlife including elephants, lions, and hippos.
- Queen Elizabeth National Park: Known for its wildlife, including tree-climbing lions, and the beautiful Kazinga Channel.
- Kasubi Tombs: A UNESCO World Heritage site, these tombs are a sacred burial ground for four kings of Buganda.
- Source of the Nile: At Jinja, the Nile river leaves Lake Victoria – a must-see sight for any visitor to Uganda.