PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Turkmenistan from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Turkmenistan with PlaneJourney. As of now, Turkmenistan has an estimated population of more than 5.8 million people.
Major cities and airports in Turkmenistan
- Ashgabat – Ashgabat International Airport
- Turkmenabat – Turkmenabat International Airport
- Daşoguz – Dashoguz Airport
- Mary – Mary International Airport
- Turkmenbaşy – Turkmenbashi International Airport
Time and Communication
Turkmenistan is in the Turkmenistan Time zone (TMT, GMT+5) and does not observe daylight saving time. The main mobile operator is Altyn Asyr, providing extensive coverage and good quality across the country.
Money and shopping
The local currency is the Turkmenistan Manat (TMT). The exchange rate as of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021 is approximately 3.5 TMT to 1 USD. Other currencies are not commonly accepted in most places. Credit and debit cards are not widely accepted, and it’s advisable to carry cash. Currency exchange offices are typically open during regular business hours.
Public buses are common in the major cities of Turkmenistan. Taxis are also widely available. For intercity travel, there are coach services, and for longer distances, domestic flights are available.
- Door to Hell: Also known as the Darvaza gas crater, this natural gas field has been burning continuously since it was lit by Soviet petrochemical scientists in 1971.
- Ancient Merv: Once one of the largest cities in the world, it’s now a UNESCO World Heritage site with well-preserved ruins.
- Turkmen Carpet Museum: Located in Ashgabat, it’s home to a large collection of hand-woven Turkmen carpets.
- Kow Ata Underground Lake: A unique natural wonder, this warm sulfur lake located in a cave is a popular spot for swimming.
- Ashgabat’s Modern Architecture: The capital city is known for its distinctive white marble buildings and modern architecture.