PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to North Macedonia from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to North Macedonia with PlaneJourney. North Macedonia has a population of approximately 2.1 million people.
Major cities and airports in North Macedonia
- Skopje – Skopje International Airport
- Ohrid – Ohrid St. Paul the Apostle Airport
Time and Communication
North Macedonia is in the Central European Time (CET) zone, which is UTC+1. The country observes daylight saving time, switching to Central European Summer Time (CEST) which is UTC+2. The main mobile operators in North Macedonia are A1, T-Mobile, and Lycamobile. The country has good cell phone coverage and call quality in urban areas, with slightly weaker coverage in rural regions.
Money and shopping
The local currency in North Macedonia is the Macedonian denar (MKD). The exchange rate to the US dollar varies. Payments in other currencies are generally not accepted. Payment by bank cards is common in larger cities, but cash is recommended for smaller establishments and rural areas. Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted, while American Express may not be accepted in some places. Currency exchange offices can be found in major cities, airports, and banks, with varying operating hours.
In North Macedonia, common transportation options include buses, taxis, and trains. Intercity buses are the most popular means of transportation between cities. In cities like Skopje, there are also local buses and taxis available. Renting a car is a popular option for tourists who want to explore the country at their own pace.
- Ohrid: This picturesque lakeside town is known for its historical sites, such as the Church of St. John at Kaneo and the ancient theater, as well as the beautiful Ohrid Lake.
- Skopje: The capital city offers a mix of old and new, with attractions such as the Old Bazaar, the Stone Bridge, and the modern statues and monuments in Macedonia Square.
- Mavrovo National Park: This large national park is a popular destination for hiking, skiing, and enjoying the natural beauty of North Macedonia.
- Matka Canyon: Just a short drive from Skopje, this stunning canyon offers opportunities for hiking, kayaking, and exploring caves, as well as visiting the historic St. Andrew’s Monastery.
- Heraclea Lyncestis: Near the city of Bitola, these ancient ruins include a well-preserved Roman theater and beautiful floor mosaics, offering a glimpse into the region’s past.