PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Myanmar from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Myanmar with PlaneJourney. Myanmar has a population of approximately 54 million people.
Major cities and airports in Myanmar
- Yangon – Yangon International Airport
- Mandalay – Mandalay International Airport
- Naypyidaw – Naypyidaw International Airport
- Bagan – Nyaung U Airport
- Heho – Heho Airport
- Sittwe – Sittwe Airport
- Myitkyina – Myitkyina Airport
- Kawthaung – Kawthaung Airport
- Mawlamyine – Mawlamyine Airport
- Kyaing Tong – Kyaing Tong Airport
Time and Communication
Myanmar is in the Myanmar Time (MMT) zone, which is 6 hours and 30 minutes ahead of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC+6:30). The country does not observe daylight saving time. Major mobile operators in Myanmar include Mytel, Telenor, Ooredoo, and MPT. Cell phone coverage is widespread in urban areas, but can be limited in rural regions. Internet access is also available in most cities, with Wi-Fi commonly found in hotels, restaurants, and cafes.
Money and shopping
The official currency of Myanmar is the Myanmar Kyat (MMK). The exchange rate is approximately 1 USD to 1,620 MMK (as of September 2021). While some establishments in major cities may accept US dollars, it is recommended to use the local currency. Credit card payments are becoming more accepted in hotels, restaurants, and larger shops, but cash is still widely used. Visa and Mastercard are the most widely accepted cards. Currency exchange offices are usually open during regular business hours, but it’s also possible to exchange money at banks and hotels.
Transportation options in Myanmar include buses, trains, taxis, and domestic flights. Long-distance buses connect major cities, and trains offer a scenic way to explore the country. Taxis are available in larger cities, and it is advisable to negotiate the fare before starting the journey. Domestic flights are a convenient way to travel between distant destinations, with several airlines operating within the country.
- Bagan: An ancient city with thousands of temples and pagodas, Bagan offers a unique and breathtaking experience for visitors, especially during sunrise and sunset hot air balloon rides.
- Inle Lake: A picturesque lake famous for its floating villages and gardens, Inle Lake is home to the Intha people, who are known for their unique leg-rowing technique.
- Shwedagon Pagoda: Located in Yangon, Shwedagon Pagoda is Myanmar’s most sacred Buddhist site, featuring a 99-meter-high gold-plated stupa adorned with thousands of diamonds and rubies.
- Mandalay: The cultural capital of Myanmar, Mandalay is known for its historic palaces, monasteries, and temples, including the Mahamuni Buddha Temple and Mandalay Hill.
- Golden Rock: Also known as Kyaiktiyo Pagoda, Golden Rock is a gravity-defying, gold-leaf-covered boulder with a small pagoda on top, perched on the edge of a cliff, making it a unique pilgrimage site for Buddhists.