PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Mozambique from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Mozambique with PlaneJourney. Mozambique is a vibrant country with a population of approximately 31 million people.
Major cities and airports in Mozambique
- Maputo – Maputo International Airport
- Beira – Beira Airport
- Nampula – Nampula Airport
- Tete – Chingozi Airport
- Pemba – Pemba Airport
Time and Communication
Mozambique operates on Central Africa Time (CAT) year-round. Major telecom providers include Vodacom, Movitel, and mCel, ensuring good mobile coverage in urban areas, while rural areas may have spotty service.
Money and shopping
The official currency is the Mozambican metical (MZN), and the exchange rate is approximately 1 USD to 75 MZN. Payments are typically made in local currency, but credit card payments, particularly Visa and MasterCard, are also widely accepted in urban areas. Exchange offices typically operate during regular business hours.
Public transportation in Mozambique includes chapas (minibuses) and taxis. Car rentals are also available, although road conditions can be challenging outside major cities. For long distances, domestic flights are available.
- Bazaruto Archipelago: A group of six islands, renowned for their unspoiled beauty, rich marine life and popular activities such as diving, snorkeling, and bird watching.
- Maputo Special Reserve: Known for its elephants, the reserve also provides habitat for antelopes, zebras, and other wildlife.
- Gorongosa National Park: It is at the southern end of the Great African Rift Valley with a variety of wildlife.
- Ilha de Moçambique: The former capital of Mozambique, it is a UNESCO World Heritage site with Portuguese colonial architecture and historical sites.
- Lake Niassa: Shared with Malawi and Tanzania, it is the ninth largest lake in the world and a hotspot for biodiversity.