PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Mauritania from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Mauritania with PlaneJourney. Mauritania is home to approximately 4.4 million people.
Major cities and airports in Mauritania
- Nouakchott – Nouakchott-Oumtounsy International Airport (NKC)
- Nouadhibou – Nouadhibou International Airport (NDB)
- Atar – Atar International Airport (ATR)
- Zouérat – Tazadit Airport (OUZ)
- Kiffa – Kiffa Airport (KFA)
Time and Communication
Mauritania is in the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) time zone and does not observe daylight saving time. The main mobile operators in Mauritania include Mauritel, Mattel, and Chinguitel. Cell phone coverage is generally available in urban areas and along major roads, but can be limited in remote regions.
Money and shopping
The local currency in Mauritania is the Mauritanian Ouguiya (MRU). The exchange rate fluctuates, so it’s important to check current rates before traveling. Payments in other currencies are generally not accepted. Payment by major credit cards is accepted in some hotels and larger businesses, but smaller establishments may only accept cash. Visa and MasterCard are more widely accepted than American Express. Currency exchange offices usually operate during regular business hours, but it is recommended to exchange money at banks or major hotels for better rates.
Common transportation options in Mauritania include taxis, shared taxis, and bush taxis for longer distances. Buses are available in some cities, but they are not as common as taxis. Renting a car is possible in major cities, but it is important to note that driving conditions can be challenging due to poorly maintained roads and limited signage.
- Chinguetti – A UNESCO World Heritage Site, this ancient city is known for its historic mosques and well-preserved architecture, as well as a unique desert landscape.
- Parc National du Banc d’Arguin – This national park is a haven for birdwatchers, with its diverse coastal and wetland habitats supporting a wide variety of migratory bird species.
- Nouakchott – The capital city of Mauritania offers various attractions, including lively markets, the National Museum of Mauritania, and the nearby Terjit Oasis.
- Adrar Plateau – This rugged and remote region is home to stunning landscapes, including sand dunes, cliffs, and ancient rock art.
- Richat Structure – Also known as the Eye of the Sahara, this geological wonder is a massive circular formation visible from space and a unique attraction for adventurous travelers.