PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Maldives from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Maldives with PlaneJourney. Maldives is an island nation in the Indian Ocean, with a population of about 530,000 people.
Major cities and airports in Maldives
- Malé – Velana International Airport (MLE)
- Addu City – Gan International Airport (GAN)
- Maamigili – Villa International Airport (VAM)
- Thimarafushi – Thimarafushi Airport (TMF)
- Ifuru – Ifuru Airport (IFU)
Time and Communication
Maldives is in the Maldives Time Zone (MVT), which is 5 hours ahead of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC+5). The country does not observe daylight saving time. Major mobile operators in the Maldives include Dhiraagu and Ooredoo. Cell phone coverage is generally good in populated areas, but it may be limited in remote islands.
Money and shopping
The local currency in Maldives is the Maldivian Rufiyaa (MVR). The exchange rate is approximately 1 US Dollar (USD) to 15.42 MVR. While the Maldivian Rufiyaa is the primary currency, many businesses, especially in the tourism industry, accept US Dollars. Payment by bank cards is common in the Maldives, and most major credit cards are accepted. Currency exchange offices are typically open during regular business hours, but it is advisable to check with the specific location.
Transportation within the Maldives is primarily by speedboat, seaplane, or domestic flights, as the islands are scattered across the Indian Ocean. Speedboats and seaplanes are the most common ways to travel between resort islands and the main island of Malé. Public ferries are also available for travel between some islands, offering a more affordable option for travelers.
- Malé: The capital city of Maldives, Malé, offers a glimpse into the local culture and history. Visitors can explore the 17th-century Hukuru Miskiy mosque, the Maldives National Museum, and the bustling Malé Fish Market.
- Underwater attractions: The Maldives is renowned for its exceptional underwater experiences, including snorkeling, diving, and even an underwater restaurant at the Hurawalhi Island Resort.
- Spa and wellness resorts: Maldives is home to numerous luxury spa and wellness resorts, offering visitors the ultimate relaxation experience amidst stunning natural beauty.
- Island hopping: With over 1,000 islands, island hopping is a popular activity for tourists visiting the Maldives. Each island offers a unique experience, from pristine beaches to local villages and vibrant coral reefs.
- Biyadhoo Island: Biyadhoo Island is known for its fantastic diving and snorkeling opportunities. The island’s house reef is home to a variety of marine life, including turtles, rays, and colorful fish species.