PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Liberia from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Liberia with PlaneJourney. Liberia is a West African country with a population of around 5 million people.
Major cities and airports in Liberia
- Monrovia – Roberts International Airport (ROB)
- Gbarnga – Gbarnga Airport (GBA)
- Kakata – Kakata Airport (KIA)
- Harper – Harper Airport (HPR)
- Voinjama – Voinjama Airport (VOI)
Time and Communication
Liberia is in the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) time zone, and it does not observe Daylight Saving Time. The main mobile operators in the country are Lonestar Cell MTN and Orange Liberia, offering relatively good coverage in urban areas. Rural areas may experience spotty coverage or limited connectivity.
Money and shopping
The local currency is the Liberian Dollar (LRD), and the exchange rate is approximately 1 USD to 171 LRD. US dollars are widely accepted, but it’s a good idea to have some local currency on hand. Credit card usage is limited, primarily to hotels and larger businesses in the capital. Visa is the most commonly accepted card, with Mastercard being less common. Currency exchange offices are usually open during regular business hours, but it’s a good idea to check their hours of operation ahead of time.
Public transportation in Liberia includes buses, shared taxis, and motorcycle taxis known as “pehn-pehn.” Travelers should exercise caution when using these modes of transportation, as safety standards may not be up to international standards. Car rentals are available in Monrovia, but road conditions can be challenging, especially during the rainy season.
- Sapo National Park: Liberia’s largest protected area, home to diverse wildlife and lush rainforests.
- Providence Island: A historical site where freed slaves from the United States first arrived in Liberia. Today, it serves as a symbol of Liberia’s history and heritage.
- Robertsport: A coastal city known for its beautiful beaches, ideal for surfing and other water sports.
- National Museum of Liberia: Located in Monrovia, the museum showcases Liberia’s rich history and culture through its exhibits and artifacts.
- Mount Nimba Strict Nature Reserve: A UNESCO World Heritage site straddling the border of Liberia, Guinea, and Côte d’Ivoire, known for its unique biodiversity and spectacular landscapes.