PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Kyrgyzstan from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Kyrgyzstan with PlaneJourney. Kyrgyzstan has a population of approximately 6.5 million people.
Major cities and airports in Kyrgyzstan
- Bishkek – Manas International Airport
- Osh – Osh Airport
Time and Communication
Kyrgyzstan is in the Kyrgyzstan Time (KGT) zone, which is UTC+6, and does not observe daylight saving time. The major mobile operators in Kyrgyzstan include MegaCom, Beeline, and O! Mobile. Cell phone coverage is generally good in urban areas, but it can be less reliable in rural and remote regions.
Money and shopping
The official currency of Kyrgyzstan is the Kyrgyzstani Som (KGS). The exchange rate varies, so it’s best to check current rates before traveling. Payments in other currencies are generally not accepted. Payment by bank cards is becoming more common in larger cities and tourist areas, but it’s always a good idea to carry cash, especially when visiting smaller towns or rural areas. Visa and Mastercard are more widely accepted than American Express and Discover cards. Currency exchange offices usually operate during regular business hours, with some open late in urban areas.
The most common means of transportation in Kyrgyzstan are taxis, marshrutkas (shared minibuses), and public buses. Taxis are widely available in cities, and rates are usually reasonable. Marshrutkas are a popular and affordable transportation option for both intercity and local travel. The public bus network covers most cities and towns, providing an inexpensive transportation option.
- Issyk-Kul Lake: The second-largest saline lake in the world, located in the eastern part of Kyrgyzstan, offers beautiful landscapes and various water sports activities.
- Ala Archa National Park: A stunning park located just outside Bishkek, featuring hiking trails, glaciers, and picturesque alpine meadows.
- Tash Rabat: A well-preserved 15th-century stone caravanserai, once an important stop along the ancient Silk Road.
- Sulaiman-Too Sacred Mountain: A UNESCO World Heritage Site in Osh, featuring numerous sacred sites, ancient petroglyphs, and beautiful panoramic views.
- Burana Tower: A historic 11th-century minaret located near the ancient city of Balasagun, offering great views of the surrounding countryside.