PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Kazakhstan from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Kazakhstan with PlaneJourney. Kazakhstan has a population of approximately 19 million people.
Major cities and airports in Kazakhstan
- Nur-Sultan – Nursultan Nazarbayev International Airport (NQZ)
- Almaty – Almaty International Airport (ALA)
- Shymkent – Shymkent International Airport (CIT)
- Aktobe – Aktobe International Airport (AKX)
- Karaganda – Sary-Arka Airport (KGF)
- Oskemen – Oskemen Airport (UKK)
- Pavlodar – Pavlodar Airport (PWQ)
- Atyrau – Atyrau Airport (GUW)
- Aktau – Aktau International Airport (SCO)
- Kostanay – Kostanay Airport (KSN)
Time and Communication
Kazakhstan has two time zones: Kazakhstan Eastern Standard Time (UTC+6) and Kazakhstan Western Standard Time (UTC+5). The country does not observe Daylight Saving Time. The major mobile operators in Kazakhstan include Beeline, Kcell, and Tele2. Call quality is generally good, and cell phone coverage is widely available in urban areas, but it may be limited in remote and rural regions.
Money and shopping
The local currency in Kazakhstan is the Kazakhstani Tenge (KZT). The exchange rate to the US dollar varies, so it’s best to check current rates before traveling. Kazakhstan generally does not accept payment in other currencies. Payment by bank cards is common in urban areas, but some small businesses and rural establishments may only accept cash. Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted, while American Express and Discover cards may not be. Currency exchange offices typically operate during regular business hours, with some located at airports and major hotels offering extended hours.
Kazakhstan’s transportation options include buses, trains, taxis, and domestic flights. Buses are the most common form of public transport in cities, while trains provide connections between major cities. Taxis and ride-sharing services like Yandex.Taxi and Uber are also available. Renting a car is an option for tourists who wish to explore the country at their own pace.
- Medeu: This large ice-skating rink is situated near Almaty and is surrounded by picturesque mountains, offering visitors a unique outdoor experience.
- Big Almaty Lake: Located in the Ile-Alatau National Park, this beautiful turquoise lake is a popular destination for hiking, picnicking, and enjoying the scenic views.
- Bayterek Tower: This iconic observation tower in Nur-Sultan offers panoramic views of the city and is a symbol of modern Kazakhstan.
- Charyn Canyon: Often referred to as Kazakhstan’s Grand Canyon, Charyn Canyon features stunning rock formations and offers a variety of outdoor activities, including hiking, camping, and rafting.
- Altyn Emel National Park: Home to the famous “singing dunes,” this national park offers a glimpse into the diverse landscape of Kazakhstan, including desert, mountains, and river valleys. Visitors can also spot rare wildlife, such as the Przewalski’s horse and the Bukhara deer.