PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Guyana from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Guyana with PlaneJourney. Guyana has a population of approximately 782,000 people.
Major cities and airports in Guyana
- Georgetown – Cheddi Jagan International Airport (GEO)
- Ogle – Eugene F. Correira International Airport (OGL)
- Lethem – Lethem Airport (LTM)
- Annai – Annai Airport (NAI)
- Matthews Ridge – Matthews Ridge Airport (MWJ)
Time and Communication
Guyana is located in the Guyana Time (GYT) zone and does not observe Daylight Saving Time. The country has two major mobile operators: GTT and Digicel. Call quality and cell phone coverage are generally good in urban areas, but may be limited in rural and remote regions.
Money and shopping
The local currency in Guyana is the Guyanese Dollar (GYD), with an exchange rate of approximately 1 USD to 210 GYD. Guyana generally does not accept payment in other currencies. Credit and debit card usage is more common in major cities and tourist areas, with Visa and Mastercard being the most widely accepted. Currency exchange offices usually operate during regular business hours, Monday through Friday.
Common transportation options in Guyana for travelers include buses, taxis, and private car hire. Minibuses are an affordable option for inter-city travel, while taxis are more convenient for shorter distances. Car rentals are available but may be more expensive than other transportation options.
- Kaieteur Falls: One of the world’s most powerful waterfalls, located in the heart of Guyana’s rainforest and accessible via a short plane ride from Georgetown.
- Iwokrama Rainforest: A vast and pristine rainforest reserve, known for its rich biodiversity and eco-tourism initiatives, including canopy walks and wildlife spotting.
- St. George’s Cathedral: A beautiful Anglican cathedral in Georgetown, built in the late 19th century and known for its stunning Gothic architecture.
- Shell Beach: A unique and remote beach on Guyana’s Atlantic coast, known for its nesting sea turtles and unspoiled natural beauty.
- Walter Roth Museum of Anthropology: A fascinating museum in Georgetown, showcasing the rich history and cultural heritage of Guyana’s Indigenous peoples.