PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to El Salvador from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to El Salvador with PlaneJourney. El Salvador has a population of approximately 6.5 million people.
Major cities and airports in El Salvador
- San Salvador – Monseñor Óscar Arnulfo Romero International Airport (SAL)
- San Miguel – El Salvador International Airport (SML)
- Santa Ana – El Salvador International Airport (SAL)
- La Libertad – El Salvador International Airport (SAL)
- Sonsonate – El Salvador International Airport (SAL)
Time and Communication
El Salvador follows the Central Standard Time (CST) timezone. Daylight Saving Time (DST) is not observed in El Salvador. The country has multiple mobile operators with good call quality, and approximately 90% of the country has cell phone coverage.
Money and shopping
The official currency of El Salvador is the US Dollar (USD), and it is widely accepted in the country. As of March 2023, the exchange rate is 1 USD = 8.75 Salvadoran Colon (SVC). Payment by bank cards is common, but some smaller businesses may only accept cash. Currency exchange offices usually operate from 9 AM to 5 PM, Monday to Friday.
Common modes of transportation in El Salvador include buses, taxis, and rental cars. There is also a limited rail network in the country.
- Ruta de las Flores – a scenic road that runs through several charming towns known for their vibrant arts and crafts scenes
- Parque Nacional Los Volcanes – a national park with several hiking trails and stunning views of the country’s volcanoes
- Joyas de Cerén – a UNESCO World Heritage Site that preserves the ruins of a pre-Columbian farming village buried by volcanic ash in AD 600
- Playa El Tunco – a popular beach destination known for its surfing, nightlife, and laid-back atmosphere
- Lake Coatepeque – a picturesque crater lake surrounded by lush forests and charming towns