PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to East Timor from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to East Timor with PlaneJourney. East Timor is a beautiful, diverse country with a population of just over 1.3 million people.
Major cities and airports in East Timor
- 1. Dili: Presidente Nicolau Lobato International Airport (DIL)
- 2. Baucau: Cakung Airport (BCH)
Time and Communication
East Timor operates in the East Timor Time zone (GMT+9), and does not observe daylight saving time. Mobile coverage is quite good in urban areas with the main telecommunication providers being Timor Telecom and Telkomcel. However, coverage can be patchy in remote locations.
Money and Shopping
The official currency of East Timor is the United States dollar. Payment in other currencies is usually not accepted. Payment by bank cards is possible in Dili and other major cities, but not common in rural areas. Visa and Mastercard are generally accepted. Currency exchange offices usually work from 9 am to 5 pm.
Microlets (small buses) are the most common form of public transportation in East Timor, but for more comfort and flexibility, you can also rent a car or a motorcycle. Taxis are available in Dili, the capital city.
- Jaco Island: A serene, uninhabited island renowned for its stunning white-sand beaches and rich underwater marine life.
- Christo Rei of Dili: A towering statue of Christ on a globe, overlooking the sea, offering panoramic views of Dili.
- Atauro Island: Known for its biodiversity, it’s a haven for diving and snorkeling enthusiasts.
- Mt Ramelau: The highest mountain in East Timor, ideal for hiking and witnessing the sunrise.
- Resistance Museum: The museum offers a detailed account of East Timor’s struggle for independence.