PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Djibouti from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Djibouti with PlaneJourney. Djibouti has a population of approximately 1 million people.
Major cities and airports in Djibouti
- Djibouti-Ambouli International Airport (JIB) in Djibouti City
- Obock Airport (OBC) in Obock
- Tadjoura Airport (TDJ) in Tadjoura
Time and Communication
Djibouti is in the East Africa Time Zone (EAT). There is no daylight saving time. The country has a good mobile network coverage, with major mobile operators like Djibouti Telecom, Evatis, and Somtel. However, the quality of the network can be affected in rural areas.
Money and shopping
The official currency in Djibouti is the Djiboutian Franc (DJF), and the exchange rate to the US dollar is approximately 177 DJF to 1 USD. Djibouti primarily accepts payment in its local currency, but some hotels and restaurants may accept payment in US dollars or euros. Payment by bank cards is not very common, and some cards may not be accepted. Currency exchange offices usually operate from Monday to Saturday, from 8 AM to 12 PM, and from 3 PM to 6 PM.
The most common mode of transportation in Djibouti is by taxi or minibus, which are affordable and readily available. Car rental services are also available in major cities.
- Lake Assal – a stunning salt lake known for its unique landscapes and beautiful scenery.
- Moucha Island – a small island with beautiful beaches and clear water, perfect for snorkeling and diving.
- Day Forest National Park – a protected area with beautiful forests, natural springs, and a variety of wildlife.
- Djibouti Palace Kempinski – a luxurious hotel located on the shores of the Red Sea with beautiful views and amenities.