PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Bulgaria from 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest tickets to Bulgaria with PlaneJourney. Bulgaria has a population of approximately 7 million people.
Major cities and airports in Bulgaria
- Sofia – Sofia Airport
- Burgas – Burgas Airport
- Varna – Varna Airport
- Plovdiv – Plovdiv Airport
- Ruse – Ruse Airport
- Stara Zagora – Stara Zagora Airport
- Blagoevgrad – Blagoevgrad Airport
- Veliko Tarnovo – Gorna Oryahovitsa Airport
- Vidin – Vidin Airport
- Sliven – Sliven Airport
Time and Communication
Bulgaria operates on Eastern European Time (EET), which is 2 hours ahead of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC+2). During daylight saving time, Bulgaria switches to Eastern European Summer Time (EEST), which is 3 hours ahead of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC+3). Mobile operators in Bulgaria include A1, Telenor, and Vivacom. The quality of mobile phone coverage is generally good, and most of the country is covered.
Money and shopping
The local currency in Bulgaria is the Bulgarian Lev (BGN). As of March 2023, the exchange rate is approximately 1.76 BGN to 1 USD. While Bulgaria mostly accepts payment in BGN, some places may accept payment in euros or other currencies. Payment by bank cards is widely accepted, including Visa and MasterCard. American Express and Diners Club cards may not be accepted at some establishments. Currency exchange offices are typically open from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM on weekdays and from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM on weekends.
Travelers in Bulgaria can use various modes of transportation, including buses, trains, and taxis. Sofia has a metro system, and several cities offer public transportation by tram. Renting a car is also an option, but be aware that the roads in some rural areas may be in poor condition.
- The Rila Monastery – a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of Bulgaria’s most famous landmarks, located in the Rila Mountains.
- Veliko Tarnovo – a charming town with medieval architecture and stunning views of the Yantra River.
- The Black Sea Coast – Bulgaria’s coastline offers beautiful beaches and resorts, including Sunny Beach and Golden Sands.
- Plovdiv – the second-largest city in Bulgaria, known for its ancient Roman ruins and historic Old Town.
- Bansko – a popular ski resort town in the Pirin Mountains, offering skiing and snowboarding in the winter and hiking in the summer.