PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Armenia among 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest airfare to Armenia with PlaneJourney. Armenia has a population of approximately 2.9 million people.
Major cities and airports in Armenia
- Yerevan – Zvartnots International Airport (EVN)
- Gyumri – Shirak International Airport (LWN)
- Stepanavan – Stepanavan Airport (LWN)
Time and Communication
Armenia is in the Armenia Time (AMT) zone, which is UTC+4. There is a switch to daylight saving time in Armenia, with the time zone changing to Armenia Summer Time (AMST), which is UTC+5. Armenia has several mobile operators, and call quality is generally good throughout the country. Almost the entire country has cell phone coverage.
Money and shopping
The official currency in Armenia is the Armenian dram (AMD), and the exchange rate to the US dollar is approximately 1 USD = 533.48 AMD (as of February 2023). Most places in Armenia accept only Armenian drams, but some tourist areas may accept US dollars or euros. Payment by bank cards is becoming more common, but it’s always a good idea to carry some cash. Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted, but other types of cards may not be accepted. Currency exchange offices are usually open from 9 am to 7 pm on weekdays and from 10 am to 5 pm on weekends.
Travelers in Armenia can use various means of transportation, including buses, taxis, and trains. Yerevan has a subway system with just one line that covers a small part of the city, and there are also minibuses that connect different parts of the city. Taxis are widely available, and there are also ride-hailing apps such as GG and Yandex. Trains connect Yerevan with Gyumri and some other cities, but the network is not extensive.
- Tatev Monastery – A medieval monastery complex located in the mountains of southern Armenia, with stunning views and a cable car ride.
- Lake Sevan – The largest lake in the Caucasus region, with beautiful scenery and opportunities for swimming and water sports.
- Garni Temple – A pagan temple from the 1st century AD, located near the village of Garni, with impressive Hellenistic architecture.
- Etchmiadzin Cathedral – The mother church of the Armenian Apostolic Church, located in the city of Vagharshapat, with beautiful frescoes and mosaics.
- Matenadaran – A repository of ancient manuscripts in Yerevan, with a collection of over 17,000 manuscripts from different periods and cultures.