PlaneJourney finds and compares airfares to Afghanistan among 1093 airlines from around the world. You can’t buy airline tickets on our site, but you can find the lowest prices and special offers with no extra fees or surcharges. Find the cheapest airfare to Afghanistan with PlaneJourney. Afghanistan is home to approximately 39 million people.
Major cities and airports in Afghanistan
- Kabul – Hamid Karzai International Airport (KBL)
- Kandahar – Kandahar International Airport (KDH)
- Herat – Herat International Airport (HEA)
- Mazar-i-Sharif – Mazar-i-Sharif International Airport (MZR)
- Jalalabad – Jalalabad Airport (JAA)
Time and Communication
Afghanistan has only one time zone, Afghanistan Time (UTC+4:30). There is no switch to daylight saving time. The mobile operators in Afghanistan are Afghan Wireless, Etisalat Afghanistan, and Roshan. The call quality is generally good in major cities, but it can be spotty in rural areas. Mobile phone coverage is limited in rural areas and mountainous regions.
Money and shopping
The local currency used in Afghanistan is the Afghani (AFN). The exchange rate to the US dollar is approximately 79 AFN to 1 USD (as of February 2023). Afghanistan does not widely accept payment in another currency, so it’s best to have local currency on hand. Payment by bank cards is not common in Afghanistan, and credit cards are not widely accepted. Currency exchange offices are generally open from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Saturday to Thursday.
The most common form of transportation in Afghanistan is by car, whether it be private cars, taxis, or buses. There are also domestic flights and trains available. However, due to the security situation in Afghanistan, it’s recommended to exercise caution and do thorough research before choosing any mode of transportation.
- Bamiyan Buddha Statues – Ancient Buddhist statues carved into a cliff face in the Bamiyan Valley
- Citadel of Herat – An ancient citadel in the city of Herat, dating back to the 3rd century BC
- Band-e Amir National Park – A stunning natural park featuring six turquoise lakes
- The Blue Mosque – A beautiful mosque in Mazar-i-Sharif, known for its blue tiles